In this week's round of nominations for the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2018, we are spoilt for choice!
So we are shortlisting three local business leaders from various backgrounds, who displayed good media savvy in their interviews.
- Jocelyn Chng, Managing Director of Sin Hwa Dee Food Stuff Industries Pte Ltd
- Rachel Heng, Author of "Suicide Club" and
- Colin Wee, Director, International Business at Well & Able Holdings
All three are our shortlisted candidates for the category of Best Broadcast Interview in the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2018, and they all have two things in common.
Scroll down to find out what they are, and watch and listen for yourself at the links below.
The Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2018 resumes with our second round of nominations. At the same time, Hong Bao Media has launched the awards in Malaysia and fine-tuned the categories to:
- Best Broadcast Interview
- Best Online Interview, in association with Shootsta
- Best Conference Presentation
- Best Live Webcast
We launched the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards to recognise senior local leaders for their communications skills, and to showcase authentic and credible home-grown communicators.
These are shining examples for other local business leaders, and to build a culture of excellence in communication, to maximise the potential of Asian companies in the Asian Century.
Each week until October 31, 2018, we are shortlisting a local corporate figure who has demonstrated excellence in a media appearance for the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2018.
Click on the link below to enter yourself or another Senior Business Leader.
Confident - This is a common trait among all three shortlisted candidates. They exude confidence, they reassure their listeners and this boosts their credibility. Confidence can not just be seen and heard, it can also be practised.
Watch or listen to our candidates to learn tips and tricks on how to look and sound confident.
- Jocelyn Chng - She appeared in "Coffee With The Boss" on Channel NewsAsia and kept good eye contact with host, Lance Alexander. She maintained her tone of voice, paused where appropriate and did not rush through her words.
- Rachel Heng - This local author appeared on Channel NewsAsia's "First Look Asia" to talk about her novel "Suicide Club". Even though she is not a business leader, and spends considerable time abroad, there are certain aspects of her interview that deserve a shout out. For example, her candour made the interview so much more interesting. There was a mention of her cat (I will leave it to you to find that out), and she too maintained good eye contact with the hosts.
- Colin Wee - Like Jocelyn, he paused where appropriate and did not rush through his words in his interview on MONEY FM 89.3.
Stories - There are several ways to capture your audience's attention but telling stories is definitely one of the most effective. All three interviewees had a good story to tell.
- Jocelyn started with a story of her growth and development. See how Lance picked up on this with his follow-up questions. Story-telling is a skill local business leaders should own, too.
- Rachel was not shy to share her past experiences in getting where she is today. She spoke candidly about the times she was turned down, and related the moment she got the surprise call that her novel had been accepted for publication. Very motivating for aspiring authors, too.
- Colin provided listeners with several examples. First, as his listeners on MONEY FM would primarily be Singaporeans, there's a good chance they won't have first-hand experience of his African business (ad)ventures. But he seamlessly puts them in a local context by using IKEA and ITE as an example. Second, he uses a second person narrative as a form of engagement. And he didn't stop there, building up his interview with more stories which set the agenda and tone for the rest of the interview.
Once again, we are pleased to nominate Jocelyn Chng, Rachel Heng and Colin Wee for the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2018. If you know them, send them a note of congratulations on being shortlisted!
Or if you would like to nominate another local business leader for the Awards, click on the link below.