Single-use plastic is a serious climate change hazard, but listeners to Money FM 89.3 were lucky to have Lena Tan explain to them in her radio interview why it is so difficult to reduce plastics.
She is the former Marketing manager for Food Republic, and our shortlisted candidate for Best Broadcast Interview for the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2019.
Tan talked in a non-salesy way about the Go Green campaign to beat plastic pollution, but also explained calmly and candidly how difficult it is to change patrons' mindsets.
Scroll down to see three reasons why we nominated her:
The Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2019 resumes with our third round of nominations in Singapore and Malaysia in the following categories:
- Best Broadcast Interview, in association with Meltwater
- Best Online Interview, in association with Shootsta
- Best Conference Presentation, in association with Dianomi
- Best Live Webcast, in association with The Streaming Company
We launched the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards to recognise senior local leaders for their communications skills, and to showcase authentic and credible home-grown communicators.
These are shining examples for other local business leaders, and to build a culture of excellence in communication, to maximise the potential of Asian companies in the Asian Century.
Each week until November 30, 2019, we are shortlisting a local corporate figure who has demonstrated excellence in a media appearance for the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2019.
Click on the link below to enter yourself or another Senior Business Leader.
Here are three observations on her performance:
- Statistics – Tan gave lots of statistics during the podcast, which helped to justify her points. Just one of many examples was "1.73 billion plastic items used per year in Singapore". She clearly came across as well-prepared.
- Examples – Tan gave examples to help engage and provide explanation. She described the actions of patrons in detail. It was easy to imagine ourselves on-location at a Food Republic coffeeshop and visualising campaign examples and consumer product problems. It was even possible to have some sympathy for why we still need plastic straws.
- Authentic – Tan expressed the challenges and results that she faced. She clearly spoke from experience from a consumer and a service perspective. While she kicked off her interview without waiting for the first question (yup, that's a bit of a no-no) she was both eager and relaxed.
If you know Lena Tan, share this article with her and congratulate her on being nominated for the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2019.
If you have what it takes, nominate yourself or your senior business leader for the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2019!