Zenith's Helen Lee reaches the top in her career ...and media interviews
The campaign by successful local business leaders holding signs saying "It did not define me" aims to highlight that you can succeed in life, even without being top of the class in your Primary School Leaving Exam (PSLE).
And it's a pretty good indicator of success in media interviews, too!
Our shortlisted nominee for this week's Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2018 shows you why.
Despite being under pressure at a young age for not pursuing her studies, Helen Lee proved that you only need confidence and passion to reach the top. This also comes through in her media savvy.
Lee is Managing Director of advertising and branding agency Zenith. When she appeared in "Coffee With The Boss" on Channel NewsAsia, her enthusiasm and experience shone through.
I am shortlisting Lee for the Best Broadcast Interview category of the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2018 this week for these three reasons (continues below):
The Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2018 resumes with our second round of nominations. At the same time, Hong Bao Media has launched the awards in Malaysia and fine-tuned the categories to:
- Best Broadcast Interview
- Best Online Interview, in association with Shootsta
- Best Conference Presentation
- Best Live Webcast
We launched the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards to recognise senior local leaders for their communications skills, and to showcase authentic and credible home-grown communicators.
These are shining examples for other local business leaders, and to build a culture of excellence in communication, to maximise the potential of Asian companies in the Asian Century.
Each week until October 31, 2018, we are shortlisting a local corporate figure who has demonstrated excellence in a media appearance for the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2018.
Click on the link below to enter yourself or another Senior Business Leader.
- Confident - Lee effortlessly bridges the conversation to her key messages, and comes across as both authentic and convincing. Her firm voice and serious demeanour show she clearly knows her stuff and is in control. Her hand gestures may be noticeable but not distracting, and even though her delivery was a tad fast, she didn't stumble over her words.
- Stories and examples - Her personal story as a diploma holder was the highlight for anyone who agrees PSLE scores don't determine your success in life. Adding stories or examples to your interview helps you to have more control and, most importantly, retain your audience's attention. Lee tells these stories about herself without coming across as showy.
- Articulate - Lee navigated some tricky questions with aplomb. We weren't the only ones to notice.
On occasion we come across local business leaders who decline media interviews on account of their language skills or educational background.
Just as your PSLE scores shouldn't prevent you from having a successful career, Lee demonstrates that it shouldn't prevent you from appearing confidently in the media, either.
If you know Helen, share this article with her and congratulate her on her nomination for the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2018.